It's easy to become complacent with your current home design and lack the motivation to make any meaningful changes.
That's because re-decorating your home can be a stressful task, even if you've dabbled with painting or have an eye for retro chic décor. Taking the jump and attempting to create a coherent design can be anything from tricky to terrifying.
Here, our interior decoration pros share 5 tips they swear by:
1. Understanding balance – anyone with an artistic eye will be familiar with white space and balance. With interior decorating, you can evoke different moods from creating focal points around an item such as a coffee table, or evenly distributing furniture in an asymmetrical fashion, creating a room that is balanced and follows form.
2. The placement of mirrors – the placement of mirrors can give the illusion of a larger room. They can also lighten a room up with the natural reflection of light, be a focal and talking point, or even a statement with an elaborate mosaic aesthetic that can define a space.
3. Introducing a variety of plants – introducing plants into a room opens up a wide range of feelings for many; identifying with nature, creating an ambience of calmness or simply adding a splash colour to an otherwise neutral room. Natural plants have their benefits, but artificial plants can create a similar mood without the same level of maintenance.
4. Adding colour – choosing a colour palette and sticking to it across the entire home, rather than bombarding each space with multiple colours, is a great start. Keeping neutral colours and adding vibrancy with unique furnishings also offers an interchangeable way to keep things colourful but also fresh.
5. Displaying frames – using a variety of picture frames can add an identity to a space. You can tell your own story through your tastes, from travel photography to your favourite book, selecting several frames to highlight your personality is an overlooked tip to transform a room.